Coming Soon: Aquaponic Vegetables!
What is “aquaponics”?
Aquaponics is a sustainable food production system that combines a traditional aquaculture (raising aquatic animals such as snails, fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a symbiotic environment. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics)
The unique advantages of aquaponic systems are:
- Conservation through constant water reuse and recycling.
- Organic fertilization of plants with natural fish emulsion.
- The elimination of solid waste disposal from intensive aquaculture.
- The reduction of needed cropland to produce crops.
- The overall reduction of the environmental footprint of crop production.
- Building small efficient commercial installations near markets reduces food miles.
- Reduction of pathogens that often plague aquaculture production systems.
Soon, ArmenianGroceries.com will be featuring a special “Aquaponic Vegetable Shoppe” where we will have 100% local aquaponic, certified organic vegetables and herbs including tomatoes, cabbage, pepper, zucchini, lettuce and basil.
Just another way we’re keeping up with the times, and providing only the best nutrition for you and your families.